Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm all pumped up about running ...

I’m definitely all pumped up about running. My goal’s to maintain my fitness and lend my support to others who are keen to improve their fitness too.

I’m 46 this year and have been tagging along that one most important woman in my life, ‘Dear Wifey’ for like ages … OMG!!! It’s been 25 years now! To my ‘Dear Wifey’, thanks for putting up with me and all my nonsense. I’m sure this running ‘thingy’ is definitely no nonsense since I’ve got your full support. We sure rock, motivating each other for health’s benefits. I’ve a 18-year-old son (don’t ask “Why one only?” coz it’s a long long story) and I’m glad he’s into all this fitness ‘thingy’ too.

I grew up playing sports, some of which have turned into a lifetime sport such as running, swimming, cycling and weight-training. I’m still very much the outdoor freak. I would love to go fishing, hiking, mountain climbing and participate in trialthlons but it’s just not so since I can’t find that much spare time for myself. I’m still a ‘tah-koong’ guy … need to eke-out a living … so 8 hours of the day is totally out! Not forgetting the travelling time and the traffic jams put in.

More than 4 years ago, after I’d developed poor eating habits, I weighed more than 80kgs (I ballooned to 85kgs to be exact). With work demands and an increased sedentary lifestyle, my eating habits added more than 10” to my waistline. When my blood pressure refused to go down after each visit to the doctor, I was jolted into reality … “I’m in deep trouble, with a capital T!”

I return to running (my greatest passion) in 2005. I started round the Kota Kemuning Lake and could barely complete half the distance. But the anticipated trouble with a capital T nudged me on. Motivation can definitely be a struggle for many but not for me. I was committed to regain my health and fitness, not only for myself but for my ‘Dear Wifey’ and son. I owe it to them to grow to a ripe old age, to be there whenever they need me.

I kept up my physical activities and increase both my running mileage and pace. I kept a well-balance diet and cut out all those fatty and carbo-food. “Input = Output” is best! In time, I was already buying new clothes as I’ve started to ‘drown’ in my current ones. I’ve lost more than 10kgs since and my waistline reduced to 30 inches. The next best news is that my hypertension is now a thing of the past.

My weight has since hit a plateau but my main objective now is to maintain it by eating right and exercising regularly but not excessively. I would certainly like to enjoy all my physical activities, especially my running while not forgetting to enjoy life with my family, my utmost priority. I’m just so grateful that I’m lucky enough to have my whole family involved in the same fitness ‘thingy’.

Running is a sure way to staying FIT & HEALTHY!
Just remember, maintain MODERATION.

Raymond Chong

8 comments:

Wenny said...

Oooooo ... :love:

Steven said...

WOW! What a loving family man lah. I Salute you bro!

Raymond said...

Of course bro, just like u...

Unknown said...

tak boleh tahan both of you bros lah. haha

Raymond said...

Wat u mean tak tahan, jealous kar?

Unknown said...

yaloh, always run together, take turn to be the rabbit, share the same hobbies, ai seh man, how to tahan? hahaha......

I also better fren fren with wenny lor... right not, wenny? :)

Wenny said...

Yalor, they left us out, we two better stick together!

We can help each other keep them in check in case they 'senyap-senyap' change hobby hor?

Unknown said...

correct lor, Hi 5!