Monday, June 8, 2009

I fall in love with running again, again and again.......

I am passionate about running and has been running since my childhood days. I used to be a regular face at Bukit China, Melaka. At that time, no such thing as “Marathon”. Just running for fun. No goal, No Target.

My first time running a race was in my 1st year in varsity. 8km from Kajang to UKM campus. Sounds “kacang”. But after 2km, “Punctured”. Why? Started with a 100M dash! But managed to finished 8th. Not too bad.

Seeing my ability, my friends introduced me to “MARATHON”. OK OK, lets give it a try. First race, Penang International Marathon. 42km. No joke! Result was -6 hours of gruesome torture. This experience was the wake up call to “what is running all about?” It really helps you to understand your own body’s limit.

Later, being in the working world. I started to race with “The Rats” and guess what? I developed a double chin and one big pack on my belly. Always feels heavy and sluggish. One day, a lady colleague trashed me 9-0 in a squash game.

Honeymoon years over. Enough! Enough! Started training again. Met a few “kaki-lari ” friends and never stop ever since. Ran 16 races a year, and a few triathlon races to my record. Got very fit and sporty. This meteoric comeback won’t be easy if I did not experience a marathon before.

Now, at 45, just woke up from a little nap. I slowed down again few years back due to lack of running friends. Thanks to my running pal Ray. With his companionship, I started to race again.

Knowing how important friends are in preserving the “running fire”, we mooted the idea of setting up a run club in Kota Kemuning. With the support and active participation from our wives, we started to blog about running, plan running activities and encourage newbies to take up running. Now we could see more and more runners in our Kota Kemuning Pacers Club.

One advice to running people out there. NEVER STOP RUNNING. Only slow down if time doesn’t permit but don’t stop completely. Once you stop, you need lots of will power to get back to where you were before.

And…..

When running, I put up a smiling face to everyone that I come across. I greet them with a sincere heart. I observe my surroundings. I enjoy my sweat and feel my energy. With all this feeling in harmony, I hope to be able to run a long,long,long……. Way.

HAPPY RUNNING.

Steven Ng

5 comments:

Wenny said...

Cool dude ... passion by accident! What an exciting way to discover a hidden talent. A great share, thanks!

Raymond said...

Hope dis rabbit keep running forever...

Unknown said...

he has too, i need a rabbit very soon - if i canlah, that is.....

Wenny said...

In time, you'll probably be his rabbit lor! Don't play play ah.

Unknown said...

sigh.... hopefully lah